District sites and attractions
STUDIO RASPAILS located 216, Boulevard Raspail, Studio Raspail was fancied by the upper class during the interwar period. This building has the appearance of a workshop: large windows and extremely high ceilings (architect Bruno Elkouken, 1932). Yet, few artists lived here. In the centre was an avant-garde cinema.
The building was designed by André Arfvidson and is located 31 rue de Campagne-Première: Its Art Deco facade with flamed sandstone tiles covers the large dimensions, equipped with a lift and telephones. It was reserved for the most well off artists and occupied by Man Ray and Kiki de Mont. » Slideshow
The origin of the Paris Catacombs dates back to the end of the 18th century. The Cemetery of the Holy Innocents (near Saint-Eustache, in the Halles district) was used for nearly ten centuries and had become a source of infection for all neighbourhood residents. After many complaints, the French Council of State pronounced the removal and disposal of the cemetery on 9 November 1785.
The bones were dropped into old selected quarries.
The remains could only be transferred after the place was blessed and consecrated on 7 April 1786 and continued to be transported up until 1788. They were always carried at nightfall according to a ritual made up of a procession of priests wearing surplices who chanted the Office for the Dead along the journey taken by carts loaded with bones and covered with black shrouds. Thereafter, the area would collect bones from all of the cemeteries in Paris up until 1814.
As soon as they were created, the Catacombs started to draw attention. In 1787, the Count of Artois, future Charles X, went down to see it along with the ladies of the court. Madame de Polignac and Madame de Guiche visited the following year. In 1814, Francis I, Emperor of Austria, visited the Catacombs while victoriously residing in Paris. In 1860, Napoleon III went down to visit with his son.
The Catacombs are only a 15-minute walk from the hotel. » Slideshow
Only a 5-minute walk from the Hotel de la Paix Montparnasse, Luxembourg Gardens were created by Queen Marie de Médicis in 1612 and inspired by the Boboli Gardens in Florence, Italy. Covering 25 hectares, the gardens are divided into two parts: a French-style and English-style. A geometric forest and large pond stretch between the two. There is also an orchard with long forgotten varieties of apples, an apiary to become acquainted with beekeeping, greenhouses with a collection of breath-taking orchids and a rose garden. The gardens include 106 statues scattered throughout the park, famous Médicis fountain, Orangery and Pavillon Davioud.
There are many activities and attractions for children: puppets, carousels and playground slides. Adults, Parisians or tourists, can play chess, tennis, bridge, or with remote control boats. The cultural program includes free photography exhibitions on the gates of the garden and concerts in the music pavilion. » Slideshow
Only a 10-minute walk from the hotel, this 210-metre skyscraper gives you an unforgettable view of the capital.
The tower has two observatories, one on the 56th floor and the other on the rooftop terrace.
The panoramic tour of Montparnasse Tower is open all year round everyday, without exception, from 9:30am to
10:30pm (or 11pm depending on the period).
Rates are €13.50. » Slideshow